Friday, June 24, 2011

Pole Green Produce (178/365)

I have never seen spring onions so large!
The bulbs are the size of golf balls!
($1/bunch)
I stopped by Pole Green Produce and picked up my first batch of fresh, local veggies of the season.  I haven't been by Pole Green while, but being in Mechanicsville, I had to stop in to see what they were offering.

I quickly remembered why this local produce stand used to be a favorite summer shopping spot of mine, as well as why it has been in business for so long...I remember driving by it while riding the bus home that one year I went to Lee-Davis High School.  People will drive for miles to get their produce and, I can guarantee, I will definitely be back for more throughout the summer.  Their produce surpasses what any other Farmer's Market and/or grocery store has to offer!

Ralph can't wait for me to cook up some of the collards and squash, or make a cobbler with
these juicy, locally grown blackberries.

I only eat Hanover tomatoes, as any other type just tastes too grainy for me.  Plus, having grown up in Hanover, anything else is sacrilege!  Luckily, Pole Green had a huge selection, where none of the grocery stores I frequent have any in (yet) this year.  I picked up a few and can't wait to have the first tomato sandwich of the season. 

1 comment: