Monday, February 7, 2011

King Scone Fish (42/365)

It is nearing Carnival and Mardi Gras time and, as such, comes the tradition of King Cake.  In King Cake tradition, there is an item, typically a small baby figurine, baked into the cake.  The person who "finds" the figurine is crowned king/queen of the day (and has to bring the cake to the next week's celebration).

I didn't have a King Cake, but did make Ralph the baked in figurine of my (horrendous) first attempt at blackberry scones.  The scones might have tasted horrible, but isn't Ralph a cutie?



I may not be in New Orleans, but who says I can't celebrate, eh?

6 comments:

  1. Now you've gone and made me want King Cake! Did you actually bake poor Ralph into the scone, or did he find his way in post-baking? And how could anything with blackberries baked in be horrendous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jess, treat yourself and order a King Cake from NOLA! :D Lots of bakeries down there ship.

    No, I didn't actually bake poor Ralph into the scones...he sorta *slipped* in there afterward...

    I followed a recipe I found online, but the dough wound up being too sticky. So, I kept adding flour and I think I would up with more flour and less sugar, etc. to balance it. Believe me, the only thing the scones were good for was the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found my way to your blog when you were featured on makesomething365. I love your idea and am enjoying Ralph's adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Sorry to hear about the scones, but yay for effort! Speaking of king cake, there is a bakery across from Ellwood Thompson that sells them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shot is sweet, even if the scones weren't.

    Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete